Tuesday, 1 August 2017

WHAT I READ | June & July


Today I'm sharing the books that I've read so far this summer... Typically I compile this post monthly, however I did only complete one book in the month of June so I thought I'd group it with my wrap up of July.

Early on in June I returned to the works of Kate Morton, having my second reading experience of her writing by delving into The Lake House. Kate Morton is a relatively new to me author, but one whose books I have fallen in love with. I have shared a review of The Lake House, which you can find here.

Although I started and finished The Lake House early in June, I didn't complete another book during the month due to unsteady reading. Thankfully, I fully fell back into reading with the arrival of July.

I read a total of five books in July, including two rereads and two review titles.

After what felt like a hard reading month prior, I started July with the first of my review books that also happened to be a five star read: The Summer of Impossible Things by Rowan Coleman. The story features time travel and a plot driven by family drama, two elements I enjoy in a book. You can find my full thoughts on this title here.

Next I picked up The Island at the End of Everything by Kiran Millwood Hargrave. Much like her novel The Girl of Ink & Stars, this title is aimed at a middle grade audience with the story containing a strong female protagonist and fantasy elements. Kiran Millwood Hargrave is a children's author that I'll keep my eye on, with this particular book turning out to be a five star read.

Continuing on with books containing a fantastical element, I selected A Place Called Here by Cecelia Ahern to reread. The story follows Sandy Shortt, a woman who has a fixation on things that go missing, as she herself goes missing and ends up in 'Here' - a place that many missing things go. The journey to get home is a challenging one, and even life altering for Sandy, but also thought provoking as a reader. Many of you know that Ahern is one of my favourite authors, and this particular book holds many magical memories for me.

Switching up genre, I completed my next read in a 24 hour time span, being thoroughly gripped with Final Girls by Riley Sager. I know in the book community this book has been getting a bit of hype upon release, but well deserved in my eyes. I'm thankful to have had a review copy of this title, as I definitely think it's one of those books that is best read with minimal knowledge prior. If you did want to read more about Final Girls, then you can find my review here.

Concluding July, I spent a week savouring my reread of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

Happy reading in August!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Final Girls does seem to be getting some good buzz, and I love a good thriller. I usually like a good time travel story too. And A Place Called Here has a different premise- not familiar w/ that one but it sounds good too.

    Hope your August is a good reading month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three books are ones I'd recommend. Thank you - and to you!

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to check out Hargrave one of these days -- I'm really enjoying middle grade these days and those two you've read now sound so good!

    Glad to hear July was a good reading month! There's just something about summer reading that I love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving middle grade books of late (just ordered another two yesterday). You'll love her books I think!

      Happy reading in August!

      Delete
  3. I’m hopefully going to be reading Rebecca this month. I hope we both enjoy it! Happy August.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although a book best read slowly, I adore Rebecca - I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Glad you got back in your reading groove! I didn't love Final Girls, but tend to have trouble with thrillers in general.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked Final Girls - it was a fun read. And I'm glad you got your reading mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandie! Final Girls was such a twisty read!

      Happy reading in August.

      Delete
  6. I just bought The Lake House and need to fit in. I read Final Girls to this month. Hope you have a great August!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lake House would make great summer reading.

      Happy reading in August!

      Delete
  7. Every year I say I'm going to read Rebecca and I never do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lake House was a pretty hefty book and while I really enjoyed it it wasn't the fastest read. Summer is always hard on my reading and I'm scrambling to get the minimum number of books read for reviews! While your reading may not have been consistent it looks like you read some really great things. I really need to reread Rebecca. I love it but it's been several years since I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer always seems to be a funny time for reading!

      Delete
  9. Hooray for all those five star reads! I hope the trend has continued into August. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie - happy reading to you!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig